Chiro.org - Chiropractic Resource Organization.     Support Chiropractic Research!

Commonly Used Diagnosis Codes (ICD-9)

Home/Diagnosis, General, News/Commonly Used Diagnosis Codes (ICD-9)

Commonly Used Diagnosis Codes (ICD-9)

The Chiro.Org Blog

You may find value in this list of diagnostic codes commonly used in chiropractic offices, sorted by body regions.

This page also includes all the *new* headache codes, although cervicogenic headache still has yet to make it to the list.

NOTE: You’ll have to scroll down towards the bottom for the new headache codes.

There’s a lot more info like this
in our
Section

About the Author:

I was introduced to Chiro.Org in early 1996, where my friend Joe Garolis helped me learn HTML, the "mark-up language" for websites. We have been fortunate that journals like JMPT have given us permission to reproduce some early important articles in Full-Text format. Maintaining the Org website has been and remains my favorite hobby.

9 Comments

1. Tom Necela, DC, CPC May 15, 2009 at 12:22 am

Great list of diagnosis codes! Although it looks like many of the new headache codes are missing on the page.

2. Frank May 15, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Hi Tom

They are all there, towards the bottom of the page.

Frank

3. seattle chiropractor November 8, 2010 at 2:49 pm

My billing department thanks you!

4. Presten Witherspoon November 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm

What about the maintenance diagnosis code that you list in order to bill S8990? I can’t remember it and can’t find it. I think it’s a V code.

5. Peter Carr January 13, 2015 at 12:51 pm

How then will we relate these codes to ICD-10 when they come along?

• Frank M. Painter, D.C. January 14, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Hi Dr. Carr!

Actually, ICD-10 is already here. I just didn’t have the stomach to go to endless pay-for seminars to get spoon fed, and have decided to farm out my billing to an electronic billing service.

So.. part of what I EXPECT from them is:

1. An explanation of HOW to fill in the 12 possible diagnosis boxes appropriately (meaning they are paid, just like always), and

2. A list of the new ICD codes that would coincide with what I have been using in the past.

THAT will make it worth it to me to go electronic.

6. Peter Carr June 27, 2016 at 9:44 am

Well, it’s been over a year, and I was wondering what’s come of your billing, Dr. Painter. Any new tips or advice?

• Frank Painter September 7, 2016 at 7:53 pm

Hi Peter

After TABS sent me the ICD-10 codes that “updated” the older codes I used, and I looked at what Medicare recommends (damands we use), I finally applied some gumption to chew through ICD-10, and I have updated the Commonly Used page.