Consider a referral to sleep disorders clinic, pulmonary clinic, or a sleep specialist for further evaluation if patient responds positively to any of the following questions: |
Question No Yes
1. Have you had a problem with excessive sleepiness,
including prolonged nighttime sleep (> 9 hours)?
Is your sleep nonrestorative (wake up feeling unrefreshed)?
Or do you sleep during the daytime almost daily?
2. Have you noticed (or has anyone witnessed) the following:
you snore, snort, have breathing pauses while sleeping, or
wake up gasping for air?
[Obstructive Sleep Apnea/Breathing-Related Sleep Disorder]
[If Yes, please complete the STOP-BANG]
3. Have you ever been told, or suspected yourself, that you
seem to act out your dreams while asleep
(e.g., punching, flailing your arms in the air,
making running movements, etc.)?
[REM Behavior Disorder]
4. Have you had irresistible attacks of sleep, such as suddenly
lapsing into sleep or napping?
5. Is your sleep/wake schedule “out of sync” with other people?
Do you have an unusual sleep/wake schedule
(e.g., go to bed very late or sleep in very late)?
[Circadian Rhythm Sleep-Wake Disorder]
6. Have you had unpleasant feelings in your legs and an urge
to move your legs as bedtime approaches (not pain)?
[Restless Legs Syndrome]
7. Have you noticed (or has anyone told you about) jerking arm/
leg movements during sleep?
[Periodic Limb Movements]
8. Have you had (or has anyone told you about) abrupt awakenings
from sleep beginning with a loud scream?
Does this occur regularly/often?
9. Have you had episodes of arising from bed during sleep and
Note: Items adapted from DSM-5 criteria for Sleep-Wake Disorders.